A Highly Imposing Man™ should never find himself at a loss for words, but he’s not some sort of annoying damned chatterbox, either. Consequently, stares, grimaces, and knowing looks are a huge part of his communication repertoire. If a picture is worth a thousand words, the look on an imposing man’s mug should be able to buy at least a dozen or so high quality snapshots. But if his game isn’t top rate, something like a simple sneer can be mistaken for a smoldering look of lust—often generating some hilarious results.
The following is a series of photographs of celebrated actors who are—or were if they are dead—known for living the imposing man lifestyle both on and off the screen. So, study and emulate, Frenchy.
1. The look of irritation that a man gets from walking into a room full of fucking Nazis and the woman who broke his heart is sitting there undermining his relationship with his best friend and piano player.
2. The expression of “I don’t give a fuck” that comes from living in an undershirt and riding the whiskey train towards the border that separates the drunken lout from the violent criminal.
3. The look of consternation that a man gets when preparing to nullify a few liabilities—usually obnoxious or careless associates.
4. The look of exasperation a man should have on his face when he is denied an entirely reasonable accommodation by an insufferable waitress at a diner.
5. The look of barely suppressed rage that every other pilot in the officers’ club should see on a man’s face when they’re caught celebrating a fairly mediocre bombing run against the Nazis.
6. The expression of self-assuredness that a man displays when he has a pocket full of easy strike matches that will actually ignite against any surface.
7. The cold, contemplative gaze of a man who bears the moral burden of naming himself judge, jury, and executioner.
8. The smug expression that a man wears when he knows that he is possibly the only being in the galaxy with the first hand experience to explain the concept of love to an alien race or a robot.
9. The look of disbelief a man has when he knows that he’s the only thing standing between a violent criminal element and a decent, peaceful citizenry, but his politically motivated punk captain is too focused on style and not enough on results.
- Don’t glance; you’re not a glancer.
- Staring can be creepy.
- If she catches you looking, just keep looking. She probably won’t mind because you’re a highly imposing man.